Sunday, September 17, 2017

The work goes on

I posted my thoughts and feelings about the death of my dear father in law yesterday on my blog. Though this is my personal journal, I know there are many people who follow along, and I want to thank you for the love and support so many of you have shown to us at this difficult time.  We have received many texts, emails, facebook messages, flowers, etc and we are so grateful for each of you.   I hope it doesn't seem irreverent to be posting today about the events of the past week, but since I am keeping this as my journal, I don't want to fall behind.  And there is always plenty going on around here.  

On Monday we held the 2nd of our 4 combined zone activities for p day at our home.  This week we combined the Elk Grove Zone and the Carmichael Zone.  We had a blast with them.  This week it was reconfirmed that no matter how much food you have, it will be eaten.  The first week I had made a huge batch of sloppy joes and I think everyone got enough but I was worried because they kept eating and I ran out.  So this week I made even more, and they still ate it all.  So, basically, no matter how much food you have, if you have missionaries around, it will all be gone.  We learned that on Tuesday as well.  We had our 2 week new missionary meeting with all of the new missionaries and their trainers.  Since we had 25 new missionaries, and their trainers, and the assistants, we had about 55 people to feed for lunch.  I decided to do a nacho bar, and I had my friend/helper cook up 18 pounds of taco meat for me.  We thought there was no way we would ever go through that much meat, but of course, before the assistants got their food the meat was gone.  I really do love feeding them all.  They are always so grateful.  If you ever want to feel good about yourself, just make cookies for the missionaries.  We had interviews 3 days this week and also last week and I made cookies for all of them for after their interviews.  They all acted like they were the best thing they had ever eaten.  They are smart, because it makes me always want to have cookies for them.  They've got me figured out.  

Here are some pictures from last week's activity.
            We got this Giant Jenga Tower 32 stories high before it fell.  That's a mission record!
Their favorite p day game is signs.  They love playing signs.  However, we introduced a new one to them, 'do you love your neighbor'? which they loved and said may replace signs for a while.  
They are so creative, we thought we set up the ping pong table for a ping pong tournament, but I had never seen the 'keep the ping pong ball on the table by blowing' game.  It was hilarious to watch. 

                                                                   Lunch Time
            Gummy bear races!  Intently working on their sleds, and their team names!










                                                                                 The Champions: Elder Snow and Elder Henry

Elder Watts took making the brackets very seriously!

We love these Elders and Sisters!

On Wednesday we had a treat.  We got to meet up with my brother Jeff at the new RC Willey store they are building in our mission.  Rick Smith and some of the buyers came out for a walk through and we got to join them.  It was kind of a throw back to our former life.  I wondered if it would be hard for Scott, he loved being there, but it didn't make him homesick for his old life at all.  It was so great for me to spend some time with my brother. We walked through the store and were able to get some lunch with him as well.  When I got out of the car and saw him I almost started crying.  I love my family and I'm grateful a few of them have a reason to make a stop in Sacramento occasionally.  Hopefully the ones who don't have a reason will make Sacramento a destination as well. (hint hint)

     
                                                  It was great seeing them together again.
On Saturday we found out about Scott's dad, but we also had some things we had to get done so that was good for us.  We had a baptism to go to, and after the baptism we had Elder Carl Cook and his beautiful wife coming to our home for a visit and dinner.  I think they were making the rounds of the new mission presidents to make sure we were still emotionally stable after 2 1/2 months of this.  (It was a wonderful visit, they are amazing). For dinner, I wanted them to get a taste of the amazing produce we have here in Sacramento, so we went to the Folsom Farmer's Market.  I have heard Sacramento is sometimes referred to as Sactomato because they grow amazing tomatoes.  And I can attest to the fact that they are delicious.  At the Farmer's Market there is a food stand that sells Argentine food.  I had been with the boys but Scott had never been. It was a nice thing to do, a little mission comfort food on a day he needed some comfort.  He had so much fun talking to the owner about Buenos Aries, and he said the food is the most authentic Argentine food he has found outside of Argentina. 

 We spoke in the Sacramento Stake Conference this morning.  It is a very diverse stake and there is a wonderful Polynesian woman in the stake who make leis for all of the speakers and anyone involved in the program.  It might not have been completely appropriate, but I had to snap a picture of us wearing our leis.  That was a first for us, speaking in Stake Conference with beautiful hand made leis.  It had to be documented.  


The gospel is true, the plan of salvation is God's plan of happiness, and we believe it all with every fiber of our beings.  We love you all! 




No comments:

Post a Comment