Saturday, September 16, 2017

In Memory of the Ogden High Flash

My Father in law died today.  He was 88 years old.  He was the consummate gentleman.  We referred to him as The Odgen High Flash because he played basketball in high school and though he wasn't very big, he was fast, thus, the nickname.  It kind of stuck, even though for the past 10 years, his body has been anything but kind to him, and the Ogden High Flash slowed down, way, way down.  After he passed, my brother in law stated; The Ogden High Flash is up and running again.  

Three weeks ago he went to get his physical and was given a clean bill of health.  Although his back hurt, his legs were deteriorating and his mind wasn't what it used to be, his vital organs were all great, and working well.  So, imagine our surprise when we came out of meetings on Thursday to a text saying he had been admitted to the hospital, he had pneumonia and sepsis and the dr's were saying it would be a matter of a few days before he was gone.  To illustrate our surprise, we thought gone meant, gone home from the hospital. What gone actually meant was gone home to heaven. They were spot on, and although we couldn't believe they were right, in the end, it turns out they have seen a case or two like this one.  He died peacefully in his sleep this morning at 7:25.  

I told my mother in law that my grieving has been a process, not this one event.  I have grieved for the past few years as I saw the father in law I love become a different person.  He was still gentle and kind, but he couldn't hear well, or remember things, and his body was always in pain and he couldn't get around much.  That wasn't the vibrant, fun, man I knew and loved.  So, as I grieve his passing, I smile as I remember the many wonderful times we spent with him, the lessons he taught, by example even more than by word, and the intense love he had for his wife and for his family.  

He was one of the last missionaries called to serve AFTER he was married.  He and my mother in law had been married a few short months when he was called to serve a mission in the North West.  He left his young bride and served faithfully for 2 1/2 years.  He set an example of consecration and putting the Lord first that seemed to stick with his family.  We are a missionary family, thanks to his example. 


As a senior couple, he and Darlene served in the New York, New York South Mission.  We were blessed to go and visit them.  One story that I love from that trip is another example of consecration.  They had told us they had room for 2 of our kids to stay with them and the rest of us got a hotel room. We got to our hotel and it wan't that nice and so a few of our kids quickly volunteered to stay with grandma and grandpa. They were remembering their lovely home they left behind in Provo and thought they had hit the jackpot, by being the first to dibs staying at grandma and grandpa's house.  When we got to their small apartment, it was worse than our hotel.  Our kids couldn't believe their grandparents were happily living in such a place, but what a great example that was to all of us, to leave family and the comforts of a beautiful home to serve and live where they were called.  
                              The day before they left on their mission to New York




Speaking of trips, we were able to go on so many fun, family trips with the Hymas family.  We took three wonderful vacations with the Hymas adults. We went to Hawaii, on a cruise to the Caribbean and a cruise up the St Lawrence River and New England.  We made memories to last a lifetime and beyond.  





As we were talking to my mother in law tonight, she was saying how blessed she is to have such a wonderful family, who have rallied around them during this time.  All of the grandchildren who live anywhere close were able to visit and say their goodbyes, and those who weren't close enough made phone calls and sent love from a far.  Most of them (besides us, because we learned the lesson of consecrated service well) are traveling from far and near to be there for the funeral.  When she acted amazed about this, I told her, it was because they learned from the two of them.  Stacie was saying today as she was looking through pictures that every life event of hers, includes pictures of grandma and grandpa there supporting her, as they did with all of us.  They came to everything and supported us in all we did.  I remember when Ethan was a senior, playing in the State Tennis tournament, it was extremely difficult for Merrill to get around, every step was excruciating, yet, here they came to Liberty Park to watch Ethan play tennis.  They set the example of love and support and exemplify the adage, 'you reap what you sow'. 
















Merrill got me my first grown up job, at First Interstate Bank, after Scott and I got engaged.  He taught me how to park on a side street.  He used to take his daughter and daughters in law to the Sundance Theater every summer for the rotary daddy daughter night.  He taught the boys the joy of a good massage session. 
Merrill and Darlene were born in the same hospital, two days apart.  They met for the second time in the 8th grade and were inseparable from the time she winked at him in a class they had together.  They loved everything BYU, especially football and basketball, and they did everything together.  Where one went, the other was sure to be. 


This is my all time favorite picture of the two of them, celebrating their combined birthdays.  If you knew him, you knew he didn't let anyone touch or mess up his hair, (he was always impeccably groomed) so it was a big deal for him to let the waitress put on the giant birthday hat.  

Merrill treated Darlene like a queen, and I remember telling him once that I knew I wanted to marry Scott after seeing how his dad treated his mom.  I knew that a son raised in that kind of a home, with that kind of a father, would be the perfect husband for me.  And he is.  
We said our 'see ya laters' in June, this was the last time we saw him in this lifetime

We were shedding a few tears today and I told my family that if I can live to be 88, and have a family that adores me and who all keep their covenants, then I will know it was a life well lived.  William Merrill Hymas lived such a life.  We will miss him, but are grateful for the great plan of happiness, and a Savior who provided a way for us to live as families again.  I know he lives today because of our Savior Jesus Christ, and I know we will see him again.  My only regret is that I can't peek into heaven and get a glimpse of the Ogden High Flash running again.  

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute for a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott and Alison, We were so sorry to hear of the passing of Scott's father, Both of his parents have always been so kind to us, as well as yours, Alison. We know that in spite of everything, it is never easy to lose a parent, and our hearts, our love, and our prayers are with you. Alison, I love reading your blog every week! It is the perfect pick-me-up that brightens my heart and my day! God bless you both!❤️ Jennifer Langston

    ReplyDelete